Rio Tinto is a leading international mining group, combining Rio Tinto plc, a London listed public company headquartered in the UK, and Rio Tinto Limited, which is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange, with executive offices in Melbourne. The two companies are joined in a dual listed companies (DLC) structure as a single economic entity, called the Rio Tinto Group. Rio Tinto was listed on the ASX (Australian Stock Exchange) on 19 September, 1962.
- Rio Tinto have posted its first loss in its history.
- Rio Tinto made a Net Loss of US$2.99 billion for the full financial year results for 2012, compared to the profit of $5.83 billion generate din 2011.
- The loss was largely attributed to impairments against its aluminium and Mozambique coal assets.
- An unspecified number of jobs will be cut from the division.
- Rio Tinto owns a 80 percent stake in Coal & Allied, with 20 percent owned by Japan's Mitsubishi Corp.
- Coal & Allied has a production of about 30 million tonnes of coal annually. The company employs about 1500 people across its three mining operations in the Hunter Valley region of New South Wales.
Other notes about the third largest mining company in the world:
- Net profit down 22 percent to US$5.9 billion (1H)
- US$1.94 billion profit drop blamed lower iron ore and commodity prices
Mining giant Rio Tinto (RIO) is planning to sweep up the shares of Canadian uranium company Hathor Exploration as it acquires 93.76 per cent of the latter's shares. Rio Tinto currently owns 119.5 million Hathor common shares.
The mining giant offered a $C654 million takeover last year to the Canadian company, paying $C4.70 per outstanding common share. On December 22, Rio Tinto extended its offer until January 6, 2012 after it acquired 87.26 per cent of Hathor's shares.
RioTinto (RIO) invests an additional $2.7 billion to complete the $3.3 billion modernisation of aluminium smelter in Kitimat. The project is designed to meet the increasing demand from the Asia Pacific Region.
The Kitimat project is going to increase the smelter's production capacity by more than 48 per cent to 420,000 tonnes a year. The $3.3 billion project is expected to be completed in 2014.
Global miner Rio Tinto (RIO) still sells everything it can produce but warns that customers are becoming increasingly cautious on the uncertainty of the outlook for the Europe and United States economies.
The global miner is still generating high cash flows as iron ore prices recovered recently except for aluminium prices which were below production costs.
Together with the two miners, the government last night issued a statement saying it will continue to support the existing investment agreement, wherein section 15.30 requires all three parties to consent to any amendments.
- What Are Broker Recommendations?
- Free Tickets to Trading & Investing Seminar & Expo ($18) Brisbane 2013
- Stock Calc App
- All About Warrants
- Introduction to Exchange Traded Funds
- Introduction to Exchange Traded Funds: Features
- Introduction to Exchange Traded Funds: Domestic ETFs
- Introduction to Exchange Traded Funds: International ETFs
- Exchange Traded Commodities
- Exchange Traded Commodities: In Summary
- How much Should I Pay for an Option?
- Options Trading: Time Value
- Options Pricing
- Why You Should Trade Index Options
- How to Weather out Flat Markets Using Options
- Australian Stock Scan
- Australian Online Share Trading
- List of Trading Books
- Interesting Thoughts about the Australian Dollar
- What's the Meaning of Hawkish?
- Do You Know How To Use the P/E Ratio
- Trading, Religion and Politics - Do They Have Anything in Common?
- Shares that are Volatile that Double and Half in the Short Term
- Telstra (TLS) T3
- Margin Call by E-mail
- The Cost of Holding a Position
- Lack of Disclosure: Compensation from ASX Listed Company
- Unrealistic Returns and Benchmarks
- CMC Markets Down
- Quality versus Quantity Forex Trading
- Woolworths 1H Sales $30.7bn up 3.2%
Date added 31-01-2013
- ASIC Fines CommBank's CommSec
Date added 25-09-2012
- Industry Super Network Calls to Ban High Frequency Trading (HFT)
Date added 22-09-2012
- NAB Launches Online Share Trading Platform
Date added 19-09-2012
- Reserve Bank of Australia Says 23 Countries Holding AUD
Date added 18-09-2012
- Australia Post Digital Mailbox
Date added 10-09-2012
- Winners and Losers of Trading for Week 2
Date added 16-01-2012
- 2012's First Week of the Best and Worst Traded Stocks
Date added 09-01-2012
- 2011's Last Best and Worst Traded Stocks
Date added 05-01-2012
- Best and Worst Pre-Christmas Traded Stocks
Date added 30-12-2011
- Trading Winners and Losers for Dec. 12-16
Date added 19-12-2011
- Best and Worst Traded Stocks for Dec. 5-9
Date added 13-12-2011
- Top 3 Best and Worst Traded Stocks
Date added 05-12-2011
- ASX Glitch Trading Halt
Date added 27-10-2011
- Worst Trade Stocks (and the Best)
Date added 06-08-2011
Top 150 Public Companies Listed on the Australian Stockmarket as at 29/05/2009
- BHP Billiton
- Westpac Banking Corporation (WBC)
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA)
- National Australia Bank (NAB)
- Telstra (TLS)
- News Corporation (NWS)
- Woolworths Limited(WOW)
- Woodside Petroleum Limited (WPL)
- Rio Tinto
- Westfield Group (WDC)
- Westfarmers Limited (WES)
- QBE Insurance
- Newcrest Mining Limited (NCM)
- Origin Energy Limited (ORG)
- Santos Limited (STO)
- AMP Limited (AMP)
- Macquarie Group (MQG)
- Foster’s Group Limited (FGL)